Going Green ~ Felted Wool Flower Wreath


 

 Hello All,

I have a Going Green program at the Library at the end of the month. We will be decorating grapevine wreaths with wool flowers. I have been organizing the wool items I have and getting the ones that aren't ready for use prepped. 


What do I mean by Prepping Wool? 

Well I hunt thrift stores for wool clothes and then run them through a hot washer and dryer to shrink them. They can then be cut without fraying. 

After this you have to disassemble the garment and that is what I have been doing to some I had washed already.

So far I have several shades of green for leaves. Red, white, 2 shades of yellow and 3 shades of blue. 

I have a lot of light blue so am going to try and dye it magenta and purple. To dye the wool I use kool-aid.
Yep! you read that right the powdered drink. Unsweetened. Just add it to boiling water and it will dye about 2 square feet of fabric. Nice huh. 

So what I do is start with a large pot fill it with water and get it boiling, add the kool-aid, wet the piece of wool and carefully lower it into the water. Watch it for a few minutes, you can see the fabric changing color and the water getting clear. Fun!

Now all this fabric will be used to make flowers like on the wreath below.









Thanks for stopping by,

~Huggs~
     Iantha








Comments

Popular Posts